Tuesday, February 1, 2011

C4T#1 Post Assignment 1

PhantomAsk the Google
Published by Liz Davis
http://edtechpower.blogspot.com/2011/01/ask-google.html

In this blog Liz Davis discusses the importance of Google in today's society. She goes on to say that for any bit of information that we need, the first place we usually go is Google. The downside to Google, according to Liz, is that human-to-human communication is often lost. We may be missing out on connections and relationships that would be gained in the days before Google. Liz does not believe that we should totally abandon Google, but that we should find some middle ground between computers and people.
This is the comment I posted to the blog:
Hey, my name is Jenna Baxter and I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I am taking EDM310 and you have been assigned as my first teacher to comment on. I will have a post summarizing my visits available by Feb. 6. The link to my blog is baxterjennaedm310.blogspot.com and the link to the class blog is edm310.blogspot.com. I thought that your blog made a lot of sense. Until a few years ago if you would have asked me what Google was, I would not have been able to tell you. Now I rely on this search engine on a daily basis. While I do rely on Google, I also believe it is important to form connections with other people. If you can find a person to give you the same information attained on Google, why not go to a person with real experience on the subject.

"My Educon Struggle"
By Liz Davis
http://edtechpower.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-educon-struggle.html

In this blog, Liz Davis discusses her frustrations after returning from an Educon conference. She feels that the same topics are discussed every year, while nothing is done to solve the problems discussed. While she enjoys the conference, and believes everyone does a good job in their presentations, she still feels like more should be done. Davis also feels that some of her frustrations are in part because her expectations were so high. Davis attended her first Educon conference in 2008 and really learned a lot. She was introduced to a lot of new ideas, and also met several people that were influential to her. Davis says she is also tired of complaining about what schools are not doing right, and would rather focus on improving education for the children.

This is what I commented on the post:
This is Jenna again from EDM310. I will be commenting on this blog as well and will have my summary posted by February 6. My blog address is baxterjennaedm310.blogspot.com, and you can find me on Twitter @jennabaxter1988.

While I may only be an Elementary Education student, I was quite interested in this blog. After reading it I was interested in finding out what Educon was, so I did a little research. This seems like a great conference where you get to discuss a lot of great topics, especially the importance of technology in education. I understand how depressing it must be to feel like you discuss the same things every year, but maybe some good can come out of it. By discussing the same topics every year you hope to get new insight from teachers who may not have been at previous conferences. Also if the same topics are still being discussed then that means there must still be problems that need to be solved. While you may feel like you can do nothing to solve the problems, talking always helps. Maybe if we all continue to work together we can improve our education system and give our students the future they deserve. Thank you for letting me comment on your blog, it has truly been educational!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenna,
    I think you have done an excellent job of summarizing my posts. Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I hope you have learned a little about blogging and commenting. I wish you the best with your studies!
    -Liz

    ReplyDelete